Re: uploading big files with PHP

On 7/25/08, Angelo Zanetti <angelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We are pitching to develop a website where the admin has to upload big video
> files but I'm not sure how this can be done as the file upload will most
> probably time out.
>
> How do current websites do it? Is there somehow a way to make use of FTP to
> transfer the files?
>
> Any links, help, advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance

Use the PUT method
- requires webserver configuration to support it
- requires PHP to open the stream using php://input
- supports resuming (the client needs to give the script something
like ?offset=1234 and the PHP script needs to fseek() to that position
in the file)

Variety of options for uploading this way:
- anything that can leverage curl/libcurl
- browser plugins - lots of java ones, haven't found a flash one yet

Bonuses:
- Can run over ssl/https - since its just HTTP talking, so proxies are okay
- Can resume
- Doesn't require a two-step process for people to upload things (FTP,
SFTP to server, then go somewhere and associate the file, etc)

We'll be using this method we just wish there were nicer frontends,
most of the java ones are ugly as sin.

javauploader.com mentioned does not look like it supports PUT. however
I believe all of these do:

http://www.jfileupload.com/products/jfileupload/
http://www.radinks.com/upload/plus/resume.php
http://upload.thinfile.com/features.php