Re: Weird issue with PHP5

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM, <jeff.mills@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> > thats a decent bit of code to pick through, jeff.  glancing at
>> index.txt,
>> > the code looks pretty straight forward, and by that i mean that it
>> doesnt
>> > look like theres anything that shouldnt work in php5.
>> >
>> > if i were to guess, i would suspect an environmental issue.  you should
>> > ensure that all the extensions you had in php4 are there in php5.  you
>> can
>> > do this by writing a simple script, phpinfo.php
>> >
>> > <?php
>> > die(phpinfo());
>> >
>> > you should run this in both the php4, and php5 environments and make
>> sure
>> > things look essentially identical.  as well, there are a few things that
>> > changed in php5, here is a helpful reference from the manual that will
>> > give
>> > you things to look out for,
>> >
>> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration5.php
>> >
>> > another thing i would recommend to weed out any environmental issues is
>> > configure error_reporting to show everything.  so (depending on your
>> > version
>> > of php5) if youre using the latest version, your php.ini file should
>> have
>> > something like this
>> >
>> > display_errors = On
>> > error_reporting = E_ALL
>> >
>> > on older versions of php5, you would have to tweak the error reporting
>> > also display E_STRICT errors, i doubt thats your problem, but i thought
>> > mention it.
>> >
>> > something else that might be helpful would be setting up a debugger,
>> such
>> > as
>> > xdebug + protoeditor.  i can help you through the configuration if you
>> > want.  this will allow you to set breakpoints and step through the code,
>> > line-by-line if you wish, which could also help you isolate the problem
>> > more
>> > quickly.
>> >
>> > -nathan
>> >

>> Hi Nathan,
>> it sure is a lot of code to work through. Its been driving me insane for
>> the last couple of days.
>> phpinfo on the same server when switching from php4 to php5 shows only a
>> few differences.
>> There is one different module in each version:
>> PHP Version 4.4.8_pre20070816-pl0-gentoo
>> - sapi_apache2
>> PHP Version 5.2.6RC4-pl0-gentoo
>> - mod_php5
>>

> gentoo, hell yea bro, youre in good company!
>
> I've saved the phpinfo pages.
>> http://nukeleaguedf.winsto.net/phpinfo/phpinfov4.htm
>> http://nukeleaguedf.winsto.net/phpinfo/phpinfov5.htm
>

> meh, as long as you stuck w/ the same use flags there likely arent any
> extensions youre missing, but maybe..
>
> I'm currently installing xdebug, but I don't see protoeditor in my Linux
>> distro. Is it available for download?

> [...]

ok, so heres the process to install protoeditor.

1. unpack the source, cd into the unpacked directory.
2. ./configure --prefix=/usr/kde/3.5/ --without-arts --enable-debug=full
3. make && make install

you can also pass the --enable-kate-plugin option to configure, if you want
to build it as a plugin for kate, which is pretty nice.  but i always found
it easier to build as a standalone app, just to get the hang of it at first,
then come back and build it into kate.

on the xdebug side (and this will be gentoo-centric, since thats what youre
running)

1. edit /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext/xdebug.ini
enable the following lines

xdebug.remote_enable="1"
xdebug.remote_handler="dbgp"
* xdebug.remote_host="10.0.1.6"
xdebug.remote_mode="req"
xdebug.remote_mode="hit"
xdebug.remote_port="9000"
xdebug.remote_autostart="1"

you see ive put a star by xdebug.remote_host, youll need to set that to the
host of your client box, and if its the same one running apache, it would be
127.0.0.1 (obviously :D).  anyway, if apache is on a different box, that
system will need to be able to send requests to your development system on
port 9000, unless you change xdebug.remote_port, but either way, the server
needs to have access to the client system.

2. smylink the extension into ext-active,
sudo ln -snf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext/xdebug.ini
/etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/xdebug.ini
3. restart apache
4. (optional) i recommend using firefox on your development system, there is
a nice little add-on you can get for xdebug,

that seems to help xdebug along when navigating from page to page.

anyway, after all that youll have to launch protoeditor, and then configure
a site in it.  go to setttings -> configure protoeditor.  youll see tabs for
different debuggers.  under the xdebug tab, check the 'Enable JIT' option.
then click the sites in the left hand pane and add a new site.  in here
youll have to set a url and map the location of the source on your client
box to the location of the source on the server.  if these are the same
system, this is super-easy, cause the paths are exactly the same.  anyway,
what you want to do here, is on this initial screen, put the path to the
base of your source code on both the client and server.  if there are other
entry points, for example if you have a vhost pointing to a subdirectory of
this code, you need to hit the 'Mappings' tab, and add those paths
accordingly for both file and server filesystems.

once you have all that setup, you should be pretty much ready.  you just
click that little icon at the bottom of ff w/ protoeditor running and *it
should* jump you into a debug session when you pull up a page from your
site.

-nathan