Re: Weird issue with PHP5

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM, <jeff.mills@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > thats a decent bit of code to pick through, jeff.  glancing at index.txt,
> > the code looks pretty straight forward, and by that i mean that it doesnt
> > look like theres anything that shouldnt work in php5.
> >
> > if i were to guess, i would suspect an environmental issue.  you should
> > ensure that all the extensions you had in php4 are there in php5.  you
> can
> > do this by writing a simple script, phpinfo.php
> >
> > <?php
> > die(phpinfo());
> >
> > you should run this in both the php4, and php5 environments and make sure
> > things look essentially identical.  as well, there are a few things that
> > changed in php5, here is a helpful reference from the manual that will
> > give
> > you things to look out for,
> >
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration5.php
> >
> > another thing i would recommend to weed out any environmental issues is
> > configure error_reporting to show everything.  so (depending on your
> > version
> > of php5) if youre using the latest version, your php.ini file should have
> > something like this
> >
> > display_errors = On
> > error_reporting = E_ALL
> >
> > on older versions of php5, you would have to tweak the error reporting to
> > also display E_STRICT errors, i doubt thats your problem, but i thought
> > mention it.
> >
> > something else that might be helpful would be setting up a debugger, such
> > as
> > xdebug + protoeditor.  i can help you through the configuration if you
> > want.  this will allow you to set breakpoints and step through the code,
> > line-by-line if you wish, which could also help you isolate the problem
> > more
> > quickly.
> >
> > -nathan
> >

> Hi Nathan,
> it sure is a lot of code to work through. Its been driving me insane for
> the last couple of days.
> phpinfo on the same server when switching from php4 to php5 shows only a
> few differences.
> There is one different module in each version:
> PHP Version 4.4.8_pre20070816-pl0-gentoo
> - sapi_apache2
> PHP Version 5.2.6RC4-pl0-gentoo
> - mod_php5

gentoo, hell yea bro, youre in good company!

I've saved the phpinfo pages.
> http://nukeleaguedf.winsto.net/phpinfo/phpinfov4.htm
> http://nukeleaguedf.winsto.net/phpinfo/phpinfov5.htm

meh, as long as you stuck w/ the same use flags there likely arent any
extensions youre missing, but maybe..

I'm currently installing xdebug, but I don't see protoeditor in my Linux
> distro. Is it available for download?

its not even in portage atm, youll have to build from source, but i can
prolly help out there.  heres the download page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=129439

ill hit you back in a few w/ the configure options i used to build it.  btw,
im using kde, if you dont have that, youll likely have to pull down kdebase
as protoeditor is built atop the kate libs (which use kde of course).

> Configuration help would be great, thank you.

it might be a little rough w/o getting a look at ur source, but we can
probly figure it out.  are you running apache locally, or on a separate
box?  if its on another box, youll have to install xdebug on that system.
as well, youll have to have php setup on your local box, and a copy of the
source of course.  i recommend setting up apache locally for this if you
can, cause it makes things a lot easier, but either way we can noc it out ;)

-nathan

btw.
the protoeditor homepage is like mad borked, ill fire off a mail to thiago.