Re: Search thoughts

Hi.

Just noticed I replied direct rather than to the list last time, sorry
about that.

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Richard Heyes wrote:
> How much traffic do you have and what's your hardware? Are your queries
> cached and subsequently repeated? Do you pre cache common queries?

I've done this kind of search twice, but both were for internal web apps so
I can't link you to them. In both cases I return only items IDs and limit
it to 10 results, with the subsequent queries being done only if the
previous ones didn't return enough results to fill the page. Both of these
speed it up a lot, obviously. One of them has a possible max of 6
different ways to examine the data tables, and still return a full results
page in under half a second.

Nothing is pre-cached, and I'm really not sure about the hardware, sorry,
that's the IT guy's problem. I don't imagine it's anything spectacular
though.

The apps get quite heavy use but I'm with Tedd on the results issue, we
only see maybe 10% of the users going to page 2, but these are internal
users searching company data, so the pattern may not be typical.

Hope you find something you're happy with,

Mark