Re: Shared Authentication Scheme - the reason for the Redirect and POST mailing

Alex Chamberlain wrote:
The server and client will initially be programmed in PHP, so I wanted to
gather some opinion on whether people wanted another SAS, and what would
make them use it over any other?? The company will be there, not only to
serve the end user, but to serve the developer as well. If anybody wants to
be one of the first users/developers, feel free to contact me on this email
address and I will keep you posted.

Personally I don't really like the idea of yet another SAS/SSO... The whole point of an SSO is summed up in the first letter of the Acronym... *Single*. If there are multiple different services and different sites implement different SSO systems then there is no longer a *Single* service.

Personally, I think that a distributed system with a single *specification* that allows different implementations to exist is the only way forward here and for that, OpenID seems like the best spec out there right now.

Perhaps you can explain what your system would offer that would make it better than an OpenID service? Perhaps your service will be OpenID compatible to ensure wider exposure? Perhaps it does more than OpenID? If so what?

Col