Shared Authentication Scheme - the reason for the Redirect and POST mailing

I am at the very early stages of developing a shared authentication scheme
(SAS). Often referred to as single sign on, but a fundamentally different
concept, the scheme hopes to assign a single set of credentials to each user
(username, password etc), which they can then use to sign on to a range of
websites. The server will be proprietary software, but the client
implementations will be open: this is mainly in the interests of security
rather than making a huge amount of money – the service will be free for
users, and free for small to medium sized websites, the threshold of which
is yet to be set.

The scheme draws inspiration from several existing and similar schemes. The
client will redirect the user to the server to authenticate on one of any
number of levels. Initially, this will just be done by using a
username/number and a password, but in the future will expand to features,
such as private information authentication (ie using date of birth, place of
birth etc) or even smart card authentication, if demand is such that we can
implement it cost effectively. Upon authorisation, the server will redirect
the browser back to the client website to enjoy their membership benefits.

The company will be registered in the UK, and hence will be subject to
strict data protection laws. Despite this, the scheme hopes to minimise user
‘form filling’ by storing and providing a central database of basic personal
details: at this stage, there will certainly not be storage of any bank
details etc.

The server and client will initially be programmed in PHP, so I wanted to
gather some opinion on whether people wanted another SAS, and what would
make them use it over any other?? The company will be there, not only to
serve the end user, but to serve the developer as well. If anybody wants to
be one of the first users/developers, feel free to contact me on this email
address and I will keep you posted.

At this stage, a name has not been confirmed due to the lack of domain, and
I am operating as an individual until such time as the code and service goes
public. I hope to rectify this in the coming days: watch this space.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Chamberlain