Re: rfc822_write_address() / CVE-2008-2829 problem

Matt Graham wrote:
From: "M. Sokolewicz" <tularis@xxxxxxx>
Matt Graham wrote:
PHP had potential vulnerability CVE-2008-2829
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42862 for a reasonable discussion and
an (unofficial) patch.

I'm just curious as to what other PHP users are doing about the problem,
since Redhat says "meh" even though the company doing the security
scan says "OMG PANIC!!1!"
it's doesn't look that dangerous to me, I'd personally rather side with Redhat in their "meh" than with the security-scan-company's "OMG PANIC!!1!".

This is what I thought. However, they would rather believe the security scan company for some reason.

If you want the patch to appear in the next version of PHP (5.2.3), make some noise about it on the internals list.

?  I thought they were up to 5.2.6....

it hasn't been applied until one of the devs gets so annoyed with you spamming him with it that he'll either apply it (thus getting it into the next release) or tell you what's wrong with it so you'll finally leave him alone. A simple solution :)

Yep.  I prefer to avoid annoying and spamming developers, though :-]

P.S. note: the potential vulnerability only occurs if you actually use the imap functions. If you don't: don't worry, you're still "safe".

Aye.  However, I mangled the source and compiled a version of PHP 5.2.6
such that the IMAP stuff wasn't even compiled, then installed that
mangled version on a test box.  The security scan company then scanned
that test box, and said, "Problem CVE-2008-2829 still exists." I do
wonder what they're doing when they're scanning....

Their scan is most likely basing it on the PHP version number only. There is no other way for them to be doing it unless they have access to the server and are able to run test code to exploit this.

In php.ini, try:

    expose_php = Off

See if that helps.

-Shawn