Re: rfc822_write_address() / CVE-2008-2829 problem

From: "M. Sokolewicz" <tularis@xxxxxxx>
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> PHP had potential vulnerability CVE-2008-2829
>> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42862 for a reasonable discussion and
>> an (unofficial) patch.
>>
>> I'm just curious as to what other PHP users are doing about the problem,
>> since Redhat says "meh" even though the company doing the security
>> scan says "OMG PANIC!!1!"
> it's doesn't look that dangerous to me, I'd personally rather side with
> Redhat in their "meh" than with the security-scan-company's "OMG
> PANIC!!1!".

This is what I thought.  However, they would rather believe the security
scan company for some reason.

> If you want the patch to appear in the next version of PHP
> (5.2.3), make some noise about it on the internals list.

?  I thought they were up to 5.2.6....

> it hasn't been applied until one of the devs gets so annoyed with you
> spamming him with it that he'll either apply it (thus getting it into
> the next release) or tell you what's wrong with it so you'll finally
> leave him alone. A simple solution :)

Yep.  I prefer to avoid annoying and spamming developers, though :-]

> P.S. note: the potential vulnerability only occurs if you actually use
> the imap functions. If you don't: don't worry, you're still "safe".

Aye.  However, I mangled the source and compiled a version of PHP 5.2.6
such that the IMAP stuff wasn't even compiled, then installed that
mangled version on a test box.  The security scan company then scanned
that test box, and said, "Problem CVE-2008-2829 still exists." I do
wonder what they're doing when they're scanning....