[Q] Exec'ing a command

Hopefully this will be clear.

I've got a unix command-line app which I will be exec'ing (or some other similar command) from a php script.

The special property of this unix app is that while it executes and terminates quickly, only a single instance can be running at any one time.

However, the php script can be called simultaneously and it is possible that an invalid attempt to run two or more instances of the unix app at the same time could be made.

Now, one possible solution to this problem is that the php script adds it's request to run the unix app to a queue and their is some other code which pulls a request off the queue, performs the operation and returns the data back to the php script which made the request.

Are there other solutions that I have not considered?