From: Jim Lucas [lists@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 12:45 PM
To: Wei, Alice J.
Cc: Per Jessen; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  fwrite() Append Files

Jim Lucas wrote:
> Wei, Alice J. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is my current code:
>>
>>    $lines = file("http://www.mysite.com/hello.txt";);
>>
>>    $file="http://www.mysite.com/hello.txt";;
>>

> You are referring to the file from the website point of view.
>
> You must access it from the filesystem point of view
>
> $file = '/path/to/public_html/hello.txt';
>

>>    $ourFileName = "hello.txt";
>>
>>    $ourFileHandle = fopen($ourFileName, 'wb') or die("can't open file");
>>
>>    fclose($ourFileHandle);
>>
>>    $newFileName="http://www.yoursite.com/hello.txt";;
>>

> Same thing here.  You are never going to be able to write to that file.
> The webserver will never allow it.

I guess I should have suggested a work around in this case.

You will need to create the file locally and then transfer via ftp/scp/etc...
the newly created file to the remote server.

I built an FTP client once with PHP using the built in FTP functions.  You will
probably need to do something similar.

>>    echo $newFileName;
>>
>>    $result=rename($ourFileName, $newFileName);
>>
>>    $ourFileHandle = fopen($ourFileName, 'wb') or die("can't open file");
>>

>> // Loop through our array, show HTML source as HTML source; and line
>> numbers too.
>>

>>   foreach ($lines as $line_num => $line) {

>> . "</p>";
>>
>>       $ourFileHandle = fopen($newFileName, 'wb') or die("can't open
>> file");
>>
>>       $content=fwrite($ourFileHandle, htmlspecialchars($line));
>>
>>       echo "<p>The line: $content has been written into
>> $newFilename</p>";
>>
>> }
>>
>> fclose($ourFileHandle);
>>
>> Do you mean to edit $ourFileHandle to fopen($ourFileName, 'wba')?
>>
>> What I really wanted to do is to copy the file directory from $file to
>> $newFileName directory using the cp command or something, but if I
>> cannot do that, writing in and out of the file may be good enough.
>>
>> Alice
>> Alice Wei
>> MIS 2009
>> School of Library and Information Science
>> Indiana University Bloomington
>> ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jim Lucas

    "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
        and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
     by William Shakespeare