Re: Uploading files without saving them

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM, James Colannino <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah, I see.  What would happen if two people just happened to upload files
> with the same filename at the same time?  Would one stomp over the other, or
> does PHP have mechanisms to handle that sort of situation?

    Todd is correct.  When you upload a file, it's saved to a
temporary directory with a unique filename.  Thus, if six people
upload the file `summer.jpg`, you may instead see on the server side:

        /tmp/PHPf983D93j
        /tmp/PHPOg4ji23
        /tmp/PHPeklS83q

    .... and so on.

    Further, as Todd mentioned, unless you explicitly call
move_uploaded_files() or perform a similar action, the file will be
deleted as soon as the Apache child process dies --- which happens as
soon as script execution completes.

    Keep in mind that this is all assuming that you're using Apache on
a *NIX-like system.  If you're using IIS, Windows, or anything else,
your mileage may vary.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Dedicated Servers - Intel 2.4GHz w/2TB bandwidth/mo. starting at just