Uploading files without saving them

Hey everyone. Here's a simple question. I'd like to be able to import information from a text file located on the client without actually saving it on the server; that is, I simply want to read the data into memory on the server, without actually saving it to a file.

I've been googling around to learn about uploading files via PHP, but haven't found anything yet (I could save the file to a temporary location and delete it when finished, but I'd prefer not to have to do this if at all possible.)

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks! :)

James
--
My blog: http://www.crazydrclaw.com/
My homepage: http://james.colannino.org/

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." --Steven Wright