Re: How to prevent DoS on PHP script?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Nitsan Bin-Nun <nitsanbn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think you can handle this with 2 pages, the first is checking whether the
> user is permitted to upload or not and if so passing him to the upload form
> with a simple (bool) $_SESSION variable which indicates his permissions.
> If you will try to access the second page and the $_SESS variable won't
> exist it will throw you back to page 1 to validate your permissions.
>
> Am I missing something? (its pretty simple..)
>
> HTH

Yes, it's missing something. There is nothing in this approach to
prevent the remote client from attempting to access the second page
directly. Even if they do not have the valid $_SESSION variable set,
the server will still receive the entire uploaded content before
passing control to the PHP script to validate permissions. In a DoS
attack, the attacker doesn't care whether the request is actually
allowed; only that resources were consumed in handling the request.
It's still the "chicken and egg" problem already described in this
thread.

Andrew