Re: Method chaining off constructors

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Christoph Boget <jcboget@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Why?  I thought constructors returned the object?
>> It's been a while since I've played with objects in PHP, but couldn't
>> you just add the line:
>> return $this;
>> ...to the end of your __construct() function? Sorry if this is obtuse of
>> me to say, I just thought maybe the answer was that simple and you're
>> like I am--you've been staring at a tree for so long, racking your
>> brain, that you forget about the forest altogether. :)
>
> The constructor should already be returning $this.
>
> thnx,
> Christoph
>

> --

If you want to do this you need to define a function/method that
returns an instance for you.  So you can say

class bob {

public static function getInstance() {
   return new bob();
}

public function foo() {
}

}

bob::getInstance()->foo();

I've seen on the internals list where core dev's said it doesn't make
sense to chain off a constructor.  If you want this behavior then you
need to do it off a method.  This is just how things work is all it
boils down to.