Re: Caching and Optimization

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:16 AM, VamVan <vamseevan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Today my question is about the all important topic "Web Optimization"
>
> What kind of caching mechanisms can I use for Mysql Queries?

mysql has its own caching support, worth looking into.  you can also cache
query results on the webserver.  there you have a variety of mediums to save
the queries in, files (session perhaps), apc, memcache, etc..

> What kind of caching and optimization mechanisms can I use for frequent Web
> Service calls?

typically, reverse proxies are used for this purpose.  squid is very
popular, also, in apache 2.2 mod_proxy + mod_cache is looking pretty sweet
;)

Any kind of code explaining the process would be highly appreciated...

the only place in here you would need any php code would be caching sql
queries on the webserver.  its not too difficult really (but there is a
large gradient of complexity), here is a super trivial example,

$query = 'some sql';
if(in_cache($query))
  return fetch_from_cache($query);
else {