Dynamic form changes without refresh

Hiya all,

I have a PHP page with a form holding a large number of textarea boxes.

These text boxes are individually set as enabled or disabled based on a flag
held in a MySQL database.

I want to be able to dynamically enable or disable a specific box without
the page being recalled (potentially loosing the parameters passed, and
having to rebuild a large complex table).

Using some basic javascript/AJAX, I have set up a link next to each text
box, which calls code that updates the database in the background without
refreshing the page. If I manually refresh the page, the textarea box in
question updates correctly, proving that the database update has worked.
However, I cannot work out how to get the textarea boxes to toggle the
disable on/off "on the fly". I assume they would need to continually check
the database and adjust as required.

I realise there may not be too much PHP involved here, but I was wondering
whether anyone could assist or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jon.