no array passed error

I don't know if this is the right list, it seems php and postgresql are rather interdependent in the webside I am debugging :(, but here goes:

I'm getting this error:
pg_execute() [<a href='function.pg-execute'>function.pg-execute</a>]: No array passed E_WARNING

for this line of code:
if( !($r=pg_execute($dbh, $query)) )

I suspect that I am not connecting to the database on the server...
How can I check my connection from withing the code or some other way?
Are the $dbh and $query built-in variables in postgres or php - I'm afraid that I'm rather a bumbling newbie :)

I can connect from XP to the FreeBSD 7.0 server and I can access and read the files and the samba connection appears to be correct... but I can't connect to the database from phped debugger
Can't figure this out...
Help ???