Re: Header Redirect

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 20:50 +0100, Stut wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, in that case it's unlikely you'll be redirecting since for a
> lot of queries you'll end up with multiple results meaning you're not
> accurately fulfilling the request unless there's only one result from
> the search. In that case I would agree that a redirect is the done
> thing - except where the user got there by doing a search, which is
> where things get cloudy as some would say it's appropriate to show
> search results since that's the reasonable user expectation, and
> others would say it should redirect to the single result - where I'd
> come down on that would depend on the content and average user profile.
>
> *breath!*
>
> If you return a 404 Google does indeed discard the content - that's
> the logical thing for it to do.  301's allow it to reduce the URLs
> used to access your site to a core set of "real" content. Given that,
> I agree to your premise that if you can successfully fulfil the
> request by redirecting then you should, but only if it's an accurate
> response to the request and not a "best guess". Best guesses should be
> presented to the user (and Google) as a page suggesting content and
> providing other ways to find it if your suggestion is not correct.
>
> I'm starting to ramble so I'll stop here. I hope the point I'm making
> is clear in there somewhere.
>
> >> IMHO if you're going to use a semantic argument to defend one point
> >> you need to carry that attitude throughout.
> >
> > My semantic argument is still intact. If I found it, then it's not
> > deserving of "404 Not Found" status. Sure it may not be at the
> > requested
> > location, but that's what the moved status is for.
>
> The 301 status code was created so web developers can re-organise
> their websites without adversely affecting the user experience. A side
> effect of this is that search engines also use them to keep their
> index up to date without affecting the sites ranking.
>
> > Here's a physical world analogy. Walk into a hardware store ask for
> > object X. If they have it they will tell you. If they don't then
> > either
> > they will say, "Sorry, we don't have that. I don't have a clue where
> > you
> > can get it", or if they do know (and want to help) they'll say "It's
> > over there at Rob's Hardware Store". What they almost certainly won't
> > say is hang on, then run over to Rob's hardware Store, buy item X,
> > come
> > back and try to sell it to you. Almost certainly, but who knows,
> > people
> > do weird things sometimes :)
>
> Taking that analogy a step further, the original hardware store is
> unlikely to pick you up and physically take you to Rob's Hardware
> Store. In fact you said it... [they'll say "It's over there]... which
> in web terms would be a page saying "we couldn't find what you were
> looking for where you were looking, but we found it over there".

But, that's what the 301 does... it's say it's over there. Your browser
is what actually takes you over there. And I know in Opera you can
disable automatic redirects so that you actually have to say... hey I
wanna go where I was told to go.

> > So here's something else since you played the performance card.
> > Click on
> > the following link and tell me where you end up when not already
> > logged
> > in:
> >
> >    http://mail.google.com/mail/
> >
> > I'm sure Google had a good reason for that behaviour, as in it's
> > follows
> > more correctly the standard expected request behaviour, and I'm sure
> > they get a LOT of hits ;)
>
> First off I really do wish people would get it out of their heads that
> just because a company such as Google does something it's the best or
> right way to do it. Secondly there are two separate scenario's that
> are being mixed up.

*lol* I didn't use Google because they are obviously correct, my primary
reason for using Google was because they chose to redirect despite that
high probably they would have concerns about performance.

I'll let this die here. I know it wasn't really resolved the last time
either. My hackles just go up when someone argues performance as a
reason to present information in the wrong location :) For instance,
let's have Google start an index for the following page:

    http://www.php.net/sha5

Cheers,
Rob.
--