visibility + unserialization

I have a 4 year old framework that serializes objects and stores them in the database. It is now going PHP 5-only, so I began to add visibility to the class definitions of the serialized objects. However, then things didn't work properly after objects stored [before the visibility was added] were unserialized. For example, each protected field ended up creating two fields, with one followed by ":protected".

Expected Result:
----------------------

object(Foo) {
 ["bar"]=>
 string(0) "banana"
}

Actual Result:

object(Foo) {
 ["bar:protected"]=>
 string(0) ""
 ["bar"]=>
  string(6) "banana"
}

Anybody run into this, or can explain why this might be and how I can avoid it?

Thanks,

~Ted