Re: which costs more ?

On Saturday 24 May 2008, Feris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to decide whether to consume feeds from third party as web services
> or just creating my own system with relational MySQL backend.
>
> Question is, which actually cost more ? Parsing a moderate streaming XML or
> creating a mysql connection ? As I read from some sources that creating
> initial connection to mysql is very costly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Feris

For what definition of "third party"?  The cost of connecting to a MySQL
database on the same network segment as the web server will be minuscule
compared to the cost of connecting to a server in another state.  (MySQL
connections are actually very fast to set up in PHP; second only to SQLite, I
suspect.)

The cost of parsing the XML will be tiny compared to the network latency.  IO
is always your most expensive operation.  Caching locally (disk, local MySQL
DB, etc.) can help a great deal, depending on your data.

So the answer is "you've not given enough information to make an intelligent
recommendation". :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012