RE: php mysql live feed

Nameless,

I see someone mentioned the setTimeout(function, milliseconds) function for JavaScript. I would also like to point out that you can use setInterval(function, milliseconds) in order to have an event repeat at a set interval. For instance, let's say you had a page laid out like so:

---
	Text here
---

You would want to add a script somewhere that would begin the interval in order to update the div:

---
<script type="text/javascript">
	function ajaxRequest()
	{
		// <insert postback code here>

		document.getElementById("blah").innerHTML = ajax.responseText;
	}

	var t = setInterval("ajaxRequest()", 5000);
</script>
---

This assumes that your XmlHttpRequest object is named "ajax". Assigning the interval to variable "t" ensures that you can clear the interval if you need to (via "clearInterval(t);").

I suppose "innerText" can be used instead of "innerHTML", as well. I would recommend using innerHTML only if you will be populating the div with HTML code, however.

Hope this helps,

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer