Re: Enterprise

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Ray Hauge <ray.hauge.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I just read an interesting article about enterprise software.  One of the
> most common arguments against PHP tends to be "It's not enterprise ready."
>  This article talks more about ruby, but it could be about any
> "non-enterprise" language as well.
>
> http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-tol/2005-April/000772.html
>
> I recently got a new job at a hospital, and the "enterprise software" they
> have is no where near as high quality as it could/should be.  This is my
> first job at a somewhat large organization (500+ employees) so I was kind of
> shocked at the state of their software.  Typically healthcare systems are
> further behind in the technology adoption, but having to deal with
> workarounds all day long sure gets old.
>
> --
> Ray Hauge
> www.primateapplications.com
>
> --

Well, I know one problem is the view of "free" or "opensource" in some
people's eyes is that there must be something wrong with it.  PHP falls into
this category.  I work for a large corporation, we use PHP here, Yahoo uses
it, a lot of places use it.  It can handle enterprise.  Really, I think the
architecture of the software would dictate that more than that language.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Plans start @ $1.99/month. Reseller plans and
Dedicated servers available.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."