Re: OT - Question about nested sortable lists

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Jim Lucas <jim.l@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I notice in a previous thread, people are suggesting using these two tools.
>
> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/dragdrop/dd-reorder.html
>
> and
>
> http://tool-man.org/examples/
>
> Now, my question is, does anybody know if these, or similar tools, would
> allow you to manipulate nested lists and move items between lists and
> various levels?
>
> Example would be this.  I work for a telephone company and I am in the
> process of rebuilding the "Add a new Service" wizard.
>
> What I would like to do is to allow people to move nested lists around.
>
> DS1 #1
>        Voice line # 800-555-1210
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
>        Voice line # 800-555-1211
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
>        Voice line # 800-555-1212
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
> DS1 #2
>        Voice line # 800-555-1214
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
>        Voice line # 800-555-1215
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
>        Voice line # 800-555-1216
>                Caller ID
>                Three Way Calling
>
> This is what I would like to end up with.  But what I start with is an empty
> white board.  With a static list of available services above the white
> board.
>
> What I would like to see is someone be able to grab the DS1 service and
> place it.  Then grab a voice line and place that as a sub-service to the
> DS1.  Then be able to grab "Features" and add them as sub-services to the
> previous voice line.
>
> Now say they are done but realize that instead the 800-555-1216 number under
> the DS1 #2, it should have been under DS1 #1.  Could someone grab the Voice
> line # 800-555-1216 and move it so it becomes a sub-service of DS1 #1? and
> keeps the features that were previously associated to it intake?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Jim Lucas                      jim.l@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Systems Engineer               541-323-9113
> BendTel                        www.bendtel.com

Seems like this might do the trick:

http://sonjayatandon.com/08-2006/how-to-add-dragdrop-behavior-to-a-yui-tree/

I'm going to try that the next time I have a fee bit of play time.
I've been locking sorting to a specific level of the nested set.  This
way I don't have to deal with the reordering of parent child
relationships and all that.  But if the drag and drop can be
implemented with my current TreeView setup, it'd be worth it.