Re: Replacing accented characters by non-accented characters

2008/5/12 Yannick Warnier <ywarnier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:>> Why are you removing the accents? Why not store/process the data as>> UTF-8, which supports all the accents in all the languages, and even>> non-latin languages. You mention Arabic, which does not use accented>> latin characters (Maybe you are thinking of Turkish, Ubek or Tadjic).>> UTF-8 supports Arabic, Russian, Greek, Latin including modified>> accented letters, and almost everything else save CJK.>>>> What is your end goal? Why are you removing the accents?>> Hi Dotan,>> I'm trying to give a universally-manageable directory name to an item> using a free-text title. I want to avoid every type of accentuated> character and everything outside of pure ASCII to make it the most> portable possible.> Generating a random hash is not acceptable as we want to be the most> user-friendly possible.
I suppose that is a good reason. I actually tried to come up with auser case that justifies the removal of latin accents, and couldn't.I'll remember that. Tell me, what are you doing with Hebrew, Russian,Arabic, and other non-latin scripts? If you want, I have some codethat roughly transliterates Hebrew <-> Latin on thehttp://gibberish.co.il website.
> I'm talking about Arabic not to remove accentuated characters, but in> case there would be a transliteration function that allows me to turn an> Arabic character into something similar in terms of pronunciation but in> ASCII.
If it needs to be transliterated back to Arabic you will have fun withthe letter forms! I can give you code that does it for Hebrew, butHebrew only has 5 final letters, and no explicit first- or middle-forms.
> So the goal is to create a directory name that is both intuitive *and*> portable for the user and the admin. The title is kept for the user, but> there is a generic shortened code that is generated following the given> title.> We used to ask for a title in a webform, but realised our users liked it> much better when we give them the possibility to generate the code> themselves, but generating one ourselves by default.> I just realised that the developer who did it seemed to make it using> html codes directly, so we end up with codes like "EACUTETEACUTE" for an> item called "été", while "ETE" would be far better.>> Yannick>>
Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.comhttp://gibberish.co.ilא-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת;
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?