Re: Re: Where to start!

"Richard Heyes" <richardh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:481EF634.6010705@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> I do not agree that creating a database which is normalised to3NF is a
>> waste of time.
>
> It isn't always, but it is sometimes. When time is a (significant) factor,
> getting something up and running (which has acceptable performance) may be
> more impotant than creating a technically perfect solution. In fact
> creating something that is technically perfect is often just a pipe dream
> for programmers.

You obviously do not understand what "technically perfect" means when it
comes to data normalisation. 3NF is considered to be "good enough" while
4NF, 5NF and 6NF is considered to be "perfect". But there is such a thing as
"too perfect" which is why even C J Date (the father of relational theory)
said that de-normalsation is an acceptable practice. Every database designer
worth his salt should be able to achieve 3NF without breaking into a sweat,
while 4/5/6NF are entirely optional, and only worth it under paricular
circumstances.

> > On the contrary, a totally un-normalised database is nothing but a
>> problem waiting to bite you in the a**e.
>
> So you can:
>
> a) Create something that gets you to market as fast as possible that is
>    "good enough".
> b) Optimise/adjust the structure later.
>
> IME though, b) rarely happens.

That's why solutions which are thrown together are often incapable of being
expanded to include new requirements. If you create a "throw away" solution
then never try to expand it, simply throw it away and start again.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net