Re: Re: Where to start!

"Richard Heyes" <richardh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:481EDD2C.5030209@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Tony Marston wrote:
>> "Richard Heyes" <richardh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Not true. If your needs are simple for example, normalisation can
>>> increase the complexity of a schema, hence increasing development time
>>> needed. Sometimes for example you could use something like a SET type,
>>> and search for something in it using FIND_IN_SET().
>>
>> I disagree. The database should ALWAYS be normalised to at least the 3rd
>> normal form. Sometimes going beyond that to 4NF, 5NF or 6NF becomes too
>> complex.
>
> Sometimes it's just a waste of time. If your site isn't that busy, and
> speed isn't crucial, why waste the time using a more complicated database
> structure?

I do not agree that creating a database which is normalised to3NF is a waste
of time. On the contrary, a totally un-normalised database is nothing but a
problem waiting to bite you in the a**e. Computer systems have a habit of
growing over time, and if you don't follow the rules of normalisation your
database will end up as the biggest bottleneck.

Anyone who doesn't know how to reach 3NF shouldn't be designing databases.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net