Re: reading Qmail boxes

Hello,

on 04/26/2008 03:43 AM Richard Kurth said the following:
>>> I what to read the email headers that are in a Qmail mailbox so that I
>>> can run it threw a filter and see what mail bounced for what reason.
>>> How do I do this being that the ownership on Qmail mailboxes are
>>> diferent from  the  owner that runs php and apache
>>>

>> You can use this class to parse the messages and extract the addresses
>> from bouncing messages.
>>
>> http://www.phpclasses.org/mimeparser
>>

> I have looked at this many times I just can't figure out how to use it.
> All I what to do is grab the mail out of the mailbox and see way it bounced
> then add that info to my program for the email user that sent it.

I think the safest way is to setup a POP3 mailbox to receive the
bouncing messages and then use POP3 client class like this to fetch and
process the bounced messages one by one.

http://www.phpclasses.org/pop3class

The MIME parser class can parse messages passed as strings or from
files. The POP3 class provides a stream wrapper that allows PHP to treat
messages in a POP3 mailbox as if they were real files. This way you can
connect the POP3 class directly to the MIME parser class.

Take a look at the parse_message.php script for an example of this.

The MIME parse class has a Decode function to parse the message, and the
Analyze function to tell which kind of message is what you have passed
and eventual parameters related to that type of message.

In the case of the bounces returned as message/delivery-status, the MIME
parse returns the boucing addresses and associated bouncing reasons.

Take a look at the test_message_decoder.php example script to see it in
action.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos