mbstring vs iconv - Any existing benchmark?

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to find information about how well mbstring
and iconv behave and possibly a comparison between the two.

The basic functions offered by both extensions seem to be providing
*about* the same features, and I read a ppt presentation from Carlos
Hoyos [1] just saying this:

"
PHP supports multi byte in two extensions: iconv  and mbstring
* iconv uses an external library (supports more encodings but less
portable)
* mbstring has the library bundled with PHP (less encodings but more
portable)
"

Is this really all there is to having two extensions providing character
encoding features?
Is there any kind of strong difference in efficiency?
Information is pretty difficult to find on the topic (and judging by
hits on my blog, my article is about the only quick and easy to find
reference to such comparison, so I'd like to extend that).

I also hear that Zend framework is mostly heading in the iconv
direction. What about what's included in PHP6? (ok, I can do that last
bit of research by myself).

It's out of curiosity, so not urgent, but I'd like to be sure I do the
right choice next time around.

Thanks,

Yannick

[1]