RE: newbie needs help with session variables

As I understand it, the "register variables" operation occurred before
execution began on your script.  It involved copying data items from your
form ($_POST), from the request URL ($_GET) and from your session
($_SESSION) so that you could simply refer to them by name in your programs.
The drawback was that someone could simply modify the URL to reference one
of your pages adding a variable to the request, and overlay variables in
your session, thereby modifying the execution of your programs, and driving
a truck thru any security you may have assumed was there.

The reason you want to keep register globals off becomes more obvious, and
when you look for variables in the $_POST array or the $_GET array or the
$_SESSION array, you can be reasonably sure it is coming from where you
expected it.  This still doesn't protect you from "cross-site posting", but
certainly enhances your ability to control the source of data coming into
your programs.

HTH,

Warren Vail