Re: PHP5 and the DOM model

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Nick Stinemates <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> That's a relatively narrow minded response to my point, since I gave
> a pretty concrete example of exactly what I meant,

no, its a very valid criticism of your flawed example.  you supply a
definition of encapsulation, and then demonstrate, by example, that you dont
understand its importance.

> followed by a great
> article which furthered my point.

take a look at the books i listed in the argument last year.  youll find
that all the books ive ever read on oop are strong proponents of data-hiding
as a component of encapsulation.

The general rule of encapsulation is: Don't ask an object for data, ask
> the object to work with the data.

more precisely, operations on a class should be driven through a
well-defined public interface.

-nathan