RE: need "pop-up" in progress alert

hi..

if you have an action that the server is performing, and the action is going
to take some amount of time, then you're going to need to provide some form
of "progress" bar, that's a function of jscript/ajax on the client side...

you can't use just php, as php runs on the server, which is where your
action is also running. the unfortunate situation is that a php 'progress
bar' wouldn't be invoked until after the action has completed... unless you
had a periodic timer within the "action" that periodically displayed
something to the page (which could be possible)

action
{
  loop through the action/task
    do some events
    display "x" //for progress bar
    continue with the event processing
  end loop
}

the other, probably better option would be to have a progress area, that
was/is a jscript/ajax based, that talked/polled the server to determine the
overall status of the "action" as it's being performed.

what did a google search on php/ajax progress bar return?

peace