Re: Memory limit of 8 MB not enough

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 6:48 PM +0900 4/16/08, Dave M G wrote:
>
> > PHP list,
> >
> > I have a PHP script that resizes an image. It takes just about whatever
> size and shrinks and crops it down to 320X240.
> >
> > I've found that these days, it's not uncommon for people to take images
> straight off their digital camera, which can be 3000X2000 pixels in image
> size, even if the jpeg file containing the image is only 200 KB. When
> working with the image, it gets uncompressed and takes up a lot of memory.
> >

>  You might want to look into using javascript to trim the file down to a
> respectable size before uploading.

    I've never seen JavaScript's ability to work with image resizing
and such.  Are you suggesting using it instead to say, "that file is
too big," before it's uploaded?  If that's the case, it may not work
in Dave's situation, since he expects large files already, and
therefore has the resizing script(s) in place.

    If I'm not totally off-point, I think the memory issue is more of
GD/Imagemagick being a resource hog than the actual file size, since
he pointed out that a megapixel image is sometimes still only 200K.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Ask me about: