newsletter administration

Hi,

I need to do a little CMS for managing Newsletter for 1 of my customers.
as i never worked on such thing in the past, i would be glad to have your
feedback.

basically, web site users are registered into DB.
my customer would like to send them a newsletter to promote new products and
services.
this newsletter should be in HTML format and send 1 by 1 to each customer.

where can i find information or template how to develop such managing tool
for newsletter ?
i mean online, customer will create his newsletter layout and add images,
links, text, and so on...

to what should i pay attention ?

thanks a lot,

--