Re: Requested PHP apps / sites

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel Brown wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe slightly off, but this is a general PHP question :-)
> > >
> > [snip!]
> >
> > >  So to my question: does anyone know of a site or forum where people
> request
> > > apps or sites to be built and then it can be voted on to track the
> people
> > > that are interested?  I'm not talking about sites where people post paid
> > > development requests.  Something open and non-contractual in the spirit
> of
> > > open source.
> > >

> >    That depends, Shawn.  Are you looking to be a part of an
> > established project, or to start your own?  If you wanted to work with
> > a well-known team, I'd recommend starting with something like the
> > phpBB group.  You can start off by writing modules and such, and if
> > you want, get into developing the core application itself.
> >
> >    To develop full applications in open source technology to someone
> > else's spec would make me very leery.... because there's almost a
> > guarantee stamped right there that says, "you're doing my work for
> > free, you're making me rich."  And while, to you, it is in the spirit
> > of open source, overall it defeats the purpose of open source.
> >
> >    The best way to come up with an idea and build a project is to
> > follow these simple steps:
> >
> >        1.) Stop giving a damn if something similar exists.  You may
> > build a better mousetrap.  If developers always said, "no, that's
> > already been done," there would be just one of everything - from
> > open-source content management systems to full-blown operating
> > systems.
> >
> >        2.) Stop thinking about how others will use your work for now.
> >  Be selfish and focus on yourself for a bit.  This *does not* mean to
> > ignore security and good coding practices, or even to ignore
> > scalability.... only to not think about how others may accept your
> > work when it's complete.  Think of it as doing coding only for
> > yourself, to make your life easier.
> >
> >        3.) Identify a problem that you experience yourself.  For
> > example, say you work part-time mowing lawns in the neighborhood.
> > Each property pays you $5 per 100'x100' square per job, with a minimum
> > of $5 required.  You have 29 properties of various sizes that you mow
> > each summer, and have always done one each day, taking the last day to
> > scramble and try to be sure all accounts are paid.
> >
> >        4.) Outline how you want your application to work for you.  In
> > the example shown above, you might decide to have an administrative
> > panel for you to enter the dimensions of each property under a
> > different profile, with the ability to add users, and then view and
> > invoice those with outstanding balances.  You can then either merge an
> > existing user-management framework (allowed by license) or write your
> [...]

    Oh, what you're looking for is a think tank.  I'd been trying to
find people in my area to get together and do the same thing.  No such
luck around here, but you may have luck in your local area.  Working
offline with people, when you can bounce ideas off of one-another
while doing something else, gets the creative juices flowing more,
because you're not focused on saying, "okay, we need to come up with
an idea."

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Ask me about: