Requested PHP apps / sites

Maybe slightly off, but this is a general PHP question :-)

I'm not a professional developer, just hobbyist at PHP. As now, when I want to learn something new such as a new framework, it's beneficial to build a PHP application in my free time as a learning exercise. Sometimes the learning is not always motivation enough (especially after the beer starts flowing). As extra motivation (above and beyond learning) I would like to either freely distribute my app or build a public site using my app. My problem is that I never can think of what to build and what I can think of has or most likely has been done and is available.

So to my question: does anyone know of a site or forum where people request apps or sites to be built and then it can be voted on to track the people that are interested? I'm not talking about sites where people post paid development requests. Something open and non-contractual in the spirit of open source.

The two open source projects that I have developed came from being part of a community and answering the same support requests in the forums day after day. It occurred to me that I could create something to do what the users kept asking. So this would be the same idea, just more broad.

If no one knows of good site(s) like this, does anyone think it would be beneficial? Would you use it?

Thanks!
-Shawn