Re: limit mail() function

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Greg Bowser <topnotcher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >postfix has rate-limitation facilities you can use for this
>
>  I'm aware of several configuration directives that limit rate, none of
>  which directly limit the send rate local users.  Perhaps some kludgly
>  or elusive trick involving multiple options would do the trick; I
>  don't claim to be a postfix expert.  Perhaps, instead of making empty
>  statements, you might choose to enlighten me as per the exact
>  configuration that will accomplish this.
>
>  Of course, I spent some time googling, but it appears that not too
>  many people know (or at least write about) how to implement such
>  functionality.

Not being a sysadmin I can't tell you HOW to do it, but I can tell you
that nearly every shared-hosting service I have worked with implements
some level of throttling such that an account on that machine cannot
send more than some set number of messages per hour whether directly
through local SMTP or through sendmail, mail(), etc., so I know it CAN
be done, and it appears that more than a few people know how to do it.

Andrew