Re: limit mail() function

>Pardon me, but that's one kludgy idea

Hence my use of the term hackish. But really, is isn't all that
kludgy.  An software solution that implements this natively would have
to keep track of the stats somehow; undoubtely via some sort of stats
file. So the real difference is that two processes are run, instead of
one.  Yet, by the same "wrapper" logic, is it not kludgy that php
invokes the sendmail binary, instead of using some sort of native php
implementation?  And again, by the same logic, the sendmail binary
that comes with many MTAs is simply a wrapper to allow normal sendmail
usage.

>postfix has rate-limitation facilities you can use for this

I'm aware of several configuration directives that limit rate, none of
which directly limit the send rate local users.  Perhaps some kludgly
or elusive trick involving multiple options would do the trick; I
don't claim to be a postfix expert.  Perhaps, instead of making empty
statements, you might choose to enlighten me as per the exact
configuration that will accomplish this.

Of course, I spent some time googling, but it appears that not too
many people know (or at least write about) how to implement such
functionality.  I did manage to find two interesting items in my
searches:

http://www.postfix.org/anvil.8.html
http://www.opennix.com/email/postfix/policy/ratelimit.html

The former doesn't appear to be magical, and from what my limited and
apparently klugdy thoughts permit me to deduce, it seems to bear,
conceptually, at least a degree (Celsius, mind you) of similarity to
the aforementioned kludgy statistics idea... I didn't find any
documentation regarding the implementation of anvil.  And the latter,
well that's not even a native postfix solution, so apparently, I have
failed to find the alleged rate-limitation.

All cynical, superficial, and sarcastic storming somewhat consummate,
I can at last take solace knowing that I would, had you _suggested_ a
better solution, or had I not, kludgy though it apparently was, put
some effort into finding a solution, pardoned you.

And with the sarcasm, sincerity, and cynicism now accomplished, permit
me to offer my most sincere apologies for the above rude, and overly
verbose post.

-- Greg