Re: Dynamic dropdown lists (select)

Hello,

on 04/04/2008 07:51 AM Angelo Zanetti said the following:
> I am looking at options for creating a dynamic dropdown list.
>
> Ok here is the scenario:
>
> All values in the dropdown list (select/option field) are coming from the
> database.
>
> So there will be 2 dropdown lists. First one say gets (for example) a list
> of cars,
>
> Then once the car is choosen the second list is populated with the list of
> models for the car choosen.
>
> I would like to know if its possible to do this without posting as well as
> without the use of JS. I have seen js examples where the values are all
> stored in arrays.
>
> This is not desireable as I will be getting the values from the the DB using
> PHP, unless I can write the JS values to the arrays using PHP? Also not sure
> of that.
>
> Is there any other idea or thing I can do? Im thinking maybe AJAX but this
> is for a mobile site (WAP/xHTML) site and Im not sure if the functionality
> will work on these devices.

This forms generation class comes with a plug-in that does exactly that.

http://www.phpclasses.org/formsgeneration

It requires some Javascript to send AJAX request to the server, so the
plug-in itself queries the database and sends the select input options o
the browser. But you do not have to worry because the class generates
all the necessary Javascript for you.

Here is a live example of the plug-in:

http://www.meta-language.net/forms-examples.html?example=test_linked_select

You may also want to watch this tutorial video:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/video/1/package/1/section/plugin-linked-select.html

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos