Re: Dynamic dropdown lists (select)

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Ryan Yagatich <ryagatich@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Angelo Zanetti wrote:
> >  > Hi all,
> >  >
> >  > I am looking at options for creating a dynamic dropdown list.
> >  <snip>
> >

> >  > Is there any other idea or thing I can do? Im thinking maybe AJAX but
> this
> >  > is for a mobile site (WAP/xHTML) site and Im not sure if the
> functionality
> >  > will work on these devices.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  You're pretty limited to the use of JavaScript here, and even more
> >  limited to what you can do with it. For instance, JS works on the Treo
> >  700p just fine - but when you get to making HTTP requests through JS
> >  (AJAX and related talk goes here) - they refuse to execute. (The 700p
> >  uses Blazer 4.5 web browser):
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer_(web_browser)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer_%28web_browser%29>
>
>     For posterity's sake (and an FYI), I'll point out that Internet
> Exploder on the Treo 700wx does have a JavaScript parsing engine, but
> does *not* handle AJAX very well at all.
>
>    I know this comes as a big surprise that a Microsoft product is
> lacking when compared to another.

im not a fan of this technique on full-blown web browsers, but in this case
it sounds like a workaround is called for.  you could just handle the
onchange event on the the select element and submit the form to the server
for a full page refresh.
eg.

<form id="ddlForm" method="post" action="">
<select onchange="document.getElementById('ddlForm').submit()">
<!-- options -->
</select>
</form>

you may also consider embedding the form in an iframe to enhance
performance, tho im no expert on the mobile front :D

-nathan