Re: Dynamic dropdown lists (select)

Angelo Zanetti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at options for creating a dynamic dropdown list.
<snip>

> Is there any other idea or thing I can do? Im thinking maybe AJAX but this
> is for a mobile site (WAP/xHTML) site and Im not sure if the functionality
> will work on these devices.

You're pretty limited to the use of JavaScript here, and even more
limited to what you can do with it. For instance, JS works on the Treo
700p just fine - but when you get to making HTTP requests through JS
(AJAX and related talk goes here) - they refuse to execute. (The 700p
uses Blazer 4.5 web browser):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer_(web_browser)

If your page is being read mostly by the non-cell phone crowd, use some
JavaScript making HTTP requests to say cars.php?make=x, where cars.php
returns some xml on all possible models of cars from that particular
make, where then your JS sets onreadystatechange and loops through all
returned values and pushes them onto the select list.

After you figure all of this out, write a "cell-phone crowd" version,
that uses a few reloads of various portions of the page to get the
desired affect. (I do believe that Blazer and the like support iframes -
but I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that!)

Since you're in the market for the non-cell phone crowd, and the
cell-phone crowd - now might be a good time to turn on Channel 4 and
watch The IT Crowd...

> Please advise.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Angelo
>
> Web: http://www.elemental.co.za

Regards,
Ryan Yagatich

--
Pantek, Inc. - http://www.pantek.com/ - info@xxxxxxxxxx
+1-877-LINUX-FIX - Expert Open Source Technical Support