Re: PHP code to write excel spreadsheet with multiple workbooks

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Mary Anderson
<maryfran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I have a linux based web app which prints an html screen of results.
>   My users really want Excel spreadsheets with the same results.  There
>  is a PEAR application which does this,  but from the PEAR description it
>  seems to be pretty buggy (65 open bugs, average days open 616 days) and
>  dated.
>
>     My spreadsheets will be somewhat simple.  They will have multiple
>  workbooks and could be as large as 10000 rows spread out over 100
>  workbooks (Bigger than the code can handle, according to one of the open
>  bug reports).  No colors, no formulas, no hyperlinks.
>
>    I've checked the archives and found an example which shows me how to
>  write the results of an SQL (MySQL, I am using postresql, but the
>  example will still work) into a very simple Excel spreadsheet with just
>  one table of results.  Is there a way to get a php program to generate a
>  spreadsheet with multiple workbooks?

There is an XML format that Microsoft has documented that will do
multi-workbook spreadsheets in Excel. (You can get an idea by saving
an existing spreadsheet as XML and looking at the source.) I haven't
used any libraries like PEAR to build them, but it isn't too difficult
to write with the basic PHP XML libraries like XMLWriter or DOM.

Andrew