Re: strange list behavior when replying to message on list

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Mark Weaver <mdw1982@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  by the way... I thought everyone would be rather interested to know that
>  because of the way the list is setup and running at the moment and "not"
>  hiding the senders email address, it's extremely easy to harvest
>  addresses from messages. That means that if someone got infected or a
>  spammer, scammer, etc... ever subscribed to the list it wouldn't be any
>  trouble at all to get list members' addresses.

    It almost sounds like this is the first mailing list to which
you've subscribed.

    1.) Hit reply-all.  It takes a second and isn't a big deal.
    2.) Any mailing list in the world that you subscribe to opens you
up to the exact same threats as which you've mentioned here, whether
or not the email address is masked.
    3.) A mailing list which masks the email is called an anonymous
distribution list.  That means going off-list for non-topic discussion
is a pain in the ass.

    It's configured this way for a reason, and I personally don't see
any problem with it.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Forensic Services, Senior Unix Engineer