Re: A Quick Reminder....

RFC1855/FYI28:
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1855.txt
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/fyi/fyi28.txt

Found via the RFC-Editor archive search:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/

Ok, so this RFC discourages top posting, but it was also written 13 years ago
when Usenet and other threaded/flat message board type systems were
prominent.   From doing some quick searches, the predominant opinion seems
to be "bottom posting was the style back then, most new online services
lean toward top posting".

Here's quick rundown of services and if they position the cursor at the top
or bottom when replying:

Gmail: top post
Yahoo Mail: top post
Microsoft Outlook: top post
Hotmail: positions cursor on "To:" line, tabbing down to body puts cursor at
top
Squirrelmail 1.4: positions cursor on "To:" line, tabbing downt to body puts
cursor at bottom
Comcast Mail Center: top post

I actually prefer inline responses when there are many different things being
responded to, but top-posting  when there's just a point or two and I'm
already familiar with the conversation.  Anyone coming in at the middle of
the conversation can refer to what's below if needed, but don't have to
look at it if they already know what's going on.    Top-posting, to me, is
definitely more efficient and preferable.

Do people on Blackberry's and iPhones really want to scroll past a bunch of
stuff they've already read to get to the actual current message?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bottom posting is bad.  I'm really
just pointing out that it is a preference issue.   And if there's a problem
with archives and digests, maybe the archives and digests should be
updated.   It shouldn't matter if people top- or bottom-post, as long as
they trim messages so there's not a lot of superfluous junk involved.
THAT's really what causes issues in archives and digests in my experience..
regardless of top/bottom posting.

It seems that bottom posting was more of a necessity years ago and that many
people cling to it as "absolute ettiquette" due more to tradition and
preference than anything else.

As for hypocrites... I'm not sure how that applies.  Unless you're saying
people who adhere to strict web standards but still top-post are
hypocrites.   If you can show me an actual ratified "standard" that says we
must all top post, then maybe you have a point.  But since the only
'official' document is an RFC (and my requested comments appear above) from
13 years ago, then I'll have to call bunk on hypocracy in this case.   It
would be like saying "I was in the military and we all addressed our
superiors with SIR <msg> SIR! therefore, since I'm your boss, that's the
communications standard you must adhere to.. despite not being in the
miiltary".

Ooops.. I violated another standard.   The period should be within the quotes
       ... military."     Crap.  I'm breaking the internet by not following
standards.  Oops. I mean. "Internet" (capitalized).

Just deal with the fact that this is a "holy war" issue that nobody going to
convince anyone to change their mind about and let's move on.    If it
seriously causes a problem with archives and digests, then someone needs to
update the way messages are presented in the archives and digests because
it's antiquated.

I recommend using a nice threaded email service like Gmail and not using
digests..    You get a similar effect, but without all this crazy confusion
when someone top-posts or someone doesn't trim their messages properly.

-TG