Re: Generating JavaScript menus on-the-fly

At 1:42 PM -0600 3/8/08, Ken Kixmoeller.com wrote:
On Mar 8, 2008, at 9:17 AM, tedd wrote:

At 3:01 PM -0600 3/7/08, Ken Kixmoeller wrote:
Hey - - -- - -- --

I keep a profile of a user's rights and responsibilities in tables. Since this profile defines what a user can do in the system I am designing, I'd like to build a JavaScript menu navigation scheme. I need it to be driven programmatically, because the Admin users can add and remove tasks to the system or to a given user at-will.

I already built a similar thing using CSS-only menus, but it just wasn't aesthetically flexible enough. I am exploring other options, but I am wondering if any of you have done something similar and have any samples or advice.

I use php and css to do navigation. The css handles client-side and php does the server-side.

If you have links that are available for some, but not others and want to keep them secure/private, then don't go the javascript route -- it's a simple matter to break that.

My advice, figure out what you want to present in php and then have php write the css for you.

Hi, tedd --- - - -

Thank you for the advice. I guess I'd better try the CSS route again. I think I may do a combination of CSS and the technique I'm using now.

I appreciate the advice you gave on what is breakable, too. Just to amplify -- the tasks that are available to a user are in a session array. These are created on login (or session init. for a guest user) and only those tasks to which the user has access appear in the array -- links are not just disabled.

Ken

Ken:

But regardless of the scheme, if you rely upon the user-side of things, then it's insecure.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------