RE: GPS Locator

While this has deteriorated way off topic from PHP, I will just mention that
I've purchased several GPS from these cats and had great luck:
http://www.buygpsnow.com

You *might* be able to write a custom PHP extension that you compile into
PHP that can access the USB/Serial port as well. (and if you did got this
route, which would be the most beneficial to the PHP community, I hope you
would FOSS the extension so other's could use it perhaps)
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1021

Secondly, maybe you could have a little daemon written that simply spits out
the coordinates (lat/long/altitude/etc.) to a socket or something, and then
via PHP's socket functions you could continually read that in.

Alternatively, perhaps JAVA will also let you access hardware layers if
you're on a non Microsoft platform (which is generally the case for PHP
users).

Lastly, you could certainly do some low level hardware I/O with Ruby and
then perhaps use Rails for the web portion.

Chalk this all under the "best tool for the job" category, in this case I
doubt PHP is.

Daevid.

Remember, when coding, php.net and google are friends.
Everyone else hates you.
It is not personal, it's just a fact.
                                      --Stephen Johnson (12/03/07)