Re: PHP performance

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > Just FYI, using ADODB will slow down the performance of your app.  Any
>  > function calls cost against you and it all adds up.
>
>  If you remove it, then you remove functionality - so before you go and
>  rip it out, check whether it's the bottleneck using xdebug.
>
>  I use an abstraction layer all the time and the benefits far outweigh
>  the 'costs'.
>
>  --
>  Postgresql & php tutorials
>  http://www.designmagick.com/

Hi Chris,

These 'benefits' you talk about really only matter if you switch your
databases.  If this app is written against Oracle and they never plan
to change it, then it isn't a bad idea to cut out that fat and just
deal with the native interface.  Even writing wrapper functions that
are very basic that abstract mysql_query or mssql_query end up adding
a lot of overhead over lots of requests.  Look at some of the PDO
benchmarks.  It is slower than the native functions too because it is
just a wrapper.

Even further if you are writing an app where you care about
performance you should be writing your SQL to the point where it
really isn't portable using all the little vendor specific features so
that you get the most out of it.

>From my personal profiling most of my application time is spent in
data access.  So the less layers you have there the faster it runs.

But that is just my 2cents on it.  :)