RES: Anyone jump from Studio 5.5.x -> Zend Eclipse?

De: Bojan Tesanovic [mailto:btesanovic@xxxxxxxxx]
<snip>
I agree with Ray

Eclipse has more extensibility than Z. Studio , but the
question is do you need it, I preffer doing PHP coding in
Studio, I learned a lot of shortcuts and doing coding is so
much faster and less frustrating than doing it in Eclipse
though et the end of the day it is up to
you, in my ream 12 of us, 50% is using eclipse and 50% is using Zend
(those one that are using Eclipse are PHP coders that know Java or C+
+ so they feel more comfortable with Eclipse ... ) , I alos know Java
and I am using Eclipse for that , for me one of the most useful
thing in Zend is (CTRL+D X,C or Apple+D , X, C) which
duplicates copies and paste lines in Studio , switching to
Eclipse I just miss those shortcuts so I am always finding
myself going back to Z. Studio

On Mar 2, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Ray Hauge wrote:

> Steve Finkelstein wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've tried googling around to find some blogs with decent
information
>> on whether Zend Eclipse is mature enough to make the jump over from
>> 5.5.x just yet.
>> Admittedly, I've dropped Zend Studio as of late and been writing all
>> of my code in TextMate -- but at the end of the day when a
project is
>> complex enough, Zend Studio is much more powerful than TextMate with
>> all of its features and remote debugging capabilities.
>> Anyhow, I'm curious if it's worth it to check out Zend Eclipse yet.
>> We're a team of about 5-6 developers and I've been getting
asked by a
>> few colleagues if I've tried it out yet since I'm usually the one to
>> try out the newer technologies.
>> I'd love to hear some feedback.
>> Thanks!
>> /sf

</snip>

I've been trying it since Beta1. Beta1 was like Eclipse PDT (PHP Development
Tools) + Zend products support.

Beta2 fixed some very frustrating bugs but still left some around.

On the QA release (aka Zend Studio for Eclipse 6.0) I did not see much
difference and I'm still really disappointed they took this move instead of
releasing another Beta (perhaps business area was pushing them).

Most of their bugs are actually Eclipse ones, things like the shift+tab
support has something to do with whitespaces and tabs for indents and I've
no idea when it will be fixed.

I've been using Neon (ZS4E) @ work and Zend Studio 5.5 @ home and I have to
say, even Neon having a lot more resources than ZS5.5 it's still a bit messy
and I'll be staying with 5.5 for a while. Yes, there are tons of good new
stuff. But if you really intend to use many of those, you'll have to get
used with "workarounds".

What's nice about this is, a lot of the bugs they're finding and fixing, are
going to original Eclipse project :)

As said, give it a respectful try before making a choice. Once you get used
to Eclipse's interface you rarely switch back (expect when you get annoyed
with code editor bugs :)