Re: Are these Truthful Proof about PHP ??

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Dare Williams <darrenwilly@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
>   http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479002.aspx
>   I read an Article on the above Microsoft website stating the reason why to Migrate from PHP to ASP.NET. So can you please justify this proofs from Microsoft and let everybody knows if they are all TRUE and MEANIFUL atall or they are just cheap lies to backup their product. Please advice?

    Prior to putting too much stock into the article at the present
time, it should be noted that it was written in September, 2003 -
about four and a half years ago.  PHP has progressed immensely since
then, when the latest stable release was 4.3.3 (and a 5.0.0 beta was
also available).

    The first and foremost important thing the article mentions is indeed true:

        "PHP is based on a platform-independent processor/engine that
parses PHP scripts and provides for database connections, Internet
protocol compliance, and numerous other tasks common to most Web
application platforms."

    Not enough attention is given to the fact that ASP.NET requires a
Microsoft system with IIS to run (not even just to run efficiently,
but as of right now, to run at all).

    It's also true that ASP.NET supports many programming languages.
And why?  Because ASP.NET is not a language in itself, despite the
fact that Microsoft attempts to compare it to a single language.
ASP.NET is a server suite which, by the way, requires multiple
commercial licenses.  PHP is a single language capable of delivering
the same exact end result as PHP: a standard HTML web page.  Of
course, neither language is limited to that, but that's by far the
primary usage of both.

    In my opinion, their argument and indication of superiority with
regard to commenting is severely lacking, but not worth granting or
revoking a point on either side.

    The sections on variables and data types speak for themselves.
PHP wins, hands down.

    From the section "Object-Oriented Programming in PHP and ASP.NET":
        "While OOP purists may debate that ASP.NET and the various
languages do not fully support every concept in the OOP paradigm, this
is true of most languages considered OOP, such as C++ and Java.

        "This has both an upside and a downside. The downside is that
for some Web developers there is a steeper learning curve for ASP.NET
versus PHP, which offers a scripting paradigm that developers have
traditionally employed for building Web sites. However, developers who
have a background in OOP languages and/or Vwill find ASP.NET
intuitively familiar and easy to learn."

    On looping:
        PHP:
            for ($i = 1; $i <= 100; $i++) {
                print $i;
            }

        ASP:
            Dim sum As Integer = 0
            Dim counter As Integer
            For counter = 1 To 100 Step 5
                sum += counter
            Next
            For i = 1 To 100
                Response.Write (i)
            Next I

    Array creation shows "$a = array (0,1,2);" for PHP vs "Dim
MySingleArraya() As Integer = New Integer (2) {0,1,2}" for ASP.

    .... and so forth and so forth.  However, I would rewrite their
summary a little bit.  The original:

        "A migration from PHP to ASP.NET in most cases is not very
complex for simple to small applications. Due to underlying
architectural differences as well as ASP.NET's OOP paradigm, more
sophisticated and complex applications need to be planned and well
thought out to take advantage of ASP.NET's more rigorous separation of
display from logic and data, as well as time saving built in
functionality that significantly reduces the amount of code necessary
to do comparable tasks."

    The summary should probably read more along the lines of this:

        "A migration from PHP to ASP.NET should only occur if your
employer is on the Microsoft payroll, if you enjoy senseless mental
anguish, or you like the fact that ASP can (perhaps fittingly) be
pronounced like the name of a snake, whereas PHP can not.  Due to
underlying architectural differences as well as ASP.NET's OOP
paradigm, more sophisticated and complex applications baffle even our
top engineers, so ASP.NET may lead to premature baldness, depression,
divorce, and a newfound respect for PHP.  ASP.NET should be your
primary choice for those who prefer non-reusable, non-portable code,
expensive closed source solutions, lack of support for things as
simple as mailing gateways and the like, and unbelievable and
unnecessary large files consisting of hundreds of lines of code that
could otherwise have been simplified to several dozen."

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>