Re: What design patterns do you usually use?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:08 -0500, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Surely he didn't explain OOP to you... he's anti OOP :)
> >

> > ya; im waiting to see one of these 'simple' sites thats written strictly
> w/
> > functions and procedural code that does more than support a username
> > and password :)
>
> Careful what you say... it is very possible. Just think of all the
> complex code out there written in C. It's just a question of how you
> leverage your libraries. I personally prefer to have an object than to
> have to always pass a structure to a procedural function.

i know what you mean; obviously, php is written in c w/ functions and its
over 600k lines!  as an aside, something that irritates me is the criticism
of oop is notorious for long identifiers.  when if you look at the source
for
any substantial c application youll find the same sort of long identifiers;
case in point, php
zend_objects_get_address
zend_objects_store_put
zend_parse_method_parameters
zend_unmangle_property_name

and anyway, what i was really getting at is richards allusion that
all 'web pages' are very simple and therefore dont mandate the use of
classes.  where my perspective is, once you get beyond something very
trivial, 'web pages' may require a ton of code to drive, no matter how the
code is written.  as the amount of code in a project increases, so does the
complexity, depending on the style of the code the complexity can increase
at variable rates.  ive seen and dealt w/ a number of applications that were
procedural and or functions w/o classes that were quite complex.

i understand designing for simplicity is key, however, things can only be
kept
so simple beyond reason.  the more something does, the more complex it is;
period.

-nathan