Re: Shopping Carts

At 7:24 PM -0500 2/26/08, Kista Tucker wrote:
Thank you, Dan B., Tedd, Dan H., and Jason:

I don't mind subcontracting and have already stated to my client that this
could possibly happen.  I definitely want a quality product.  I will work
hard within a reasonable timeframe and if I'm not satisfied with my work,
I'll call someone.  One concern of mine is that the person/company I
subcontract may cost as much as the entire amount this client is paying.
Any idea what making a shopping cart work safely and properly might cost?

I appreciate all of you sending encouragement.  I'm learning more and more
each day; the momentum is in a positive direction.  Just wish it was faster.

Thanks again,
Kista

Kista:

<my take>

As I said, I might buy a shopping cart and get the shopping cart support to install it and then bill the client accordingly plus my time.

I had good success using this:

http://www.shop-script.com/

As you can see, the top of the line is $299.00 -- so the cost of the shopping cart isn't much.

However, setting up the merchandise is a different problem. How do you populate the database with the customer's inventory? What does the customer have? How it's stored? And so on.

I had one client who had about 600 items and wanted a shopping cart with a back-end to maintain their inventory. The bid I gave them was $10k and I would have it finished in two months.

They didn't bite, but that gives you an idea of the cost involved (ay lease mine). Maybe I overbid -- I don't know. But, I do know that what they wanted would have racked a lot of my time.

I just finished a back-end project that took me about a week. The client paid $1k up-front and another $1k when I finished. He seemed happy with my work and the time frame. I would be happy with two grand a week -- too bad it's not consistent.

I do know this, if you underbid and get the work, they will work you to death. So let them know beforehand that you are in it to help them AND you do this for a living, not for grins.

Also, keep track of your time and bill accordingly. If you justify your time, the client will take it better. If you bid for an entire project, then you eat any overtime. So be careful making bids but also keep in mind that even an underbid will give you experience and that's worth something.

Never admit to a client that you don't know something -- instead say that you'll look into it for him.

Be careful about what mistakes you admit to, unless you have liability insurance. Some of this stuff can be downright expensive.

Backup everything as you go and document everything (i.e., what you did, what time, and why). If you do anything with a client's database, back it up first. If you do anything with a clients site, backup what was there before you did anything. In other words, cover your butt in all matters and make sure that you can return things back to the way they were.

</my take>

That's it for now. Tune in next week.

Cheers and good luck,

tedd